This Honey Vanilla Cake Roll with Candied Almonds features a light and fluffy honey and vanilla sponge cake, a creamy ricotta & cream cheese filling & is topped with homemade candied almonds! Fluffy & delicate, this Honey Vanilla swiss roll is literally bakery-worthy!
Honey Vanilla Cake Roll
Hey babes!!! Today I’m bringing you a Honey Vanilla Cake Roll topped with homemade candied almonds!
This swiss roll is literally amazing. Like, NO JOKE. It tastes like actual heaven. Like, if heaven had a flavor I’m sure it would be honey, vanilla & almonds. Don’t @ me.
So anyway, the sponge cake is ultra fluffy (zoom in) & is flavored with vanilla & honey, then rolled up & filled with a deliciously creamy ricotta & cream cheese filling. I also used the remaining filling to frost the roll & then topped it all off with some crunchy candied almonds.
If you love delicate desserts, you’ll truly love this one!
How do you make cake rolls from scratch?
As usual you’ll find the recipe card with all the ingredients & step-by-step instructions down below, but this is what to expect:
- Whip the eggs, sugar & vanilla extract until fluffy and lighter in color. I recommend using a mixer for this but you can also do this by hand (it’ll be a bit of an arm workout but totally worth it lol).
- Fold in the honey. Use a spatula & be super gentle when folding in the honey because you don’t want the batter to lose volume.
- Sift in the flour, potato starch & salt and again, be super gentle when combining the dry ingredients into the batter. You’re looking for a fluffy batter with no lumps!
- Bake. Simply pour the batter into a 10×15 inch baking pan lined with parchment paper, use a spatula to smooth out the top & bake until golden. This cake is very thin so don’t walk away from the oven! It’s ready in 5-10 minutes, for reference I like mine at exactly 6 minutes!
- Invert the warm sponge cake. Immediately invert the cake onto another layer of parchment paper sprinkled with white granulated sugar. The sugar keeps the cake from sticking to the parchment paper. Remove the old layer of parchment paper.
- Roll up the cake & let it cool. Allow it to cool down to room temperature before adding the filling & frosting or they will melt! Meanwhile, make the candied almonds (all the details will be in the recipe card down below) & the filling/frosting.
- Assemble. Fill with the prepared filling, roll back up, frost with the remaining filling & top with chopped candied almonds.
Welcome to the troubleshooting section of this honey and vanilla cake roll! 🌈
These are some of the most asked regarding cake rolls, if you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, feel free to leave me a comment down below & I’ll be with you in no time 💘
Why do cake rolls crack? There’s not a one size fit all answer to this. Maybe you made a substitution & your cake roll turned out dry so it cracked. Or you forgot to roll it up when it was still warm & tried to roll it up once it was cool. Or maybe you used a larger pan & ended up with a cake roll that’s too thin & fragile to be rolled up.
So how do you roll a cake roll without cracking it? Roll the cake roll when it’s still warm, be gentle when inverting it onto another layer of parchment paper & make sure the parchment paper is sprinkled with white granulated sugar to keep the cake from sticking to it!
Why is my cake roll rubbery? Overmixing cake batter can result in a rubbery texture, this happens because overmixing affects the gluten in flour resulting in a heavy & rubbery cake.
How do I stop my swiss roll skin from peeling? Bake the cake until nice & golden & completely dry to the touch! Also, do not refrigerate your cake roll wrapped in parchment paper because the condensation trapped between the cake & parchment paper will cause the skin to peel off. Some people like to speed up the cooling process by popping the baked & rolled up cake in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, I never do this but if you want to give it a try, know that skin peeling is more likely to happen this way.
Wait, do i need a swiss roll pan? What does a swiss roll pan look like? No & it looks like a regular baking pan because IT IS a regular baking pan lol! Use a 10×15 inch baking pan lined with parchment paper & you’ll be fine!
HAPPY BAKING LOVES!! I hope you’ll love this Honey Vanilla Cake Roll as much as I do!
PS: Please leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ⭐️ if you make it! Your comments make my day!! You can also tag me on Instagram @itsdamnspicy 🌈💘
Honey Vanilla Cake Roll with Candied Almonds
For The Honey Vanilla Cake Roll
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup 110 g white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp high-quality pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup 60 g all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup 60 g potato starch
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 and 1/2 tbsp 50 g honey liquid
For The Candied Almonds
- 2 cups 300 g whole almonds washed
- 1 cup 220 g white granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp high-quality pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup 118 g water
For The Ricotta Filling/Frosting
- 16 oz 453 g ricotta cheese drained
- 6 oz 170 g cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup 60 g powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 10x15 inch baking pan with parchment paper, then spray the parchment paper with non-stick spray or grease with butter.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract and beat until fluffy and lighter in color (about 2-3 minutes). Pour in the honey and use a spatula to gently fold it into the batter. Set aside.
- Sift in the flour, potato starch, and salt, and use a spatula to gently fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking pan and gently smooth out the top. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until golden and dry to the touch. I like mine at exactly 6 minutes. When the cake is done, remove it from the oven.
- Prepare a piece of parchment paper larger than your cake on the counter and sprinkle it with white granulated sugar. Immediately invert the warm cake onto the parchment paper and peel off the parchment paper that was on the bottom of the cake when it baked. Gently roll up the cake starting with the narrow end and allow it to cool down to room temperature.
- Meanwhile prepare the candied almonds and the filling.
- Make the candied almonds: line a baking pan with parchment paper and set aside. Place a medium pot over medium heat, then add the sugar, salt, and water. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The mixture should start to bubble up and foam (this might take 5-10 more minutes). Continue stirring until the mixture starts to thicken and turn darker in color. If you have a candy thermometer, the mixture should reach exactly 238F. Once the mixture has reached 238F, immediately add in the almonds and use a spatula to combine everything together. The mixture will go from shiny to dull and textured. Remove from the heat and dump the almonds onto your prepared baking pan. Allow the candied almonds to cool down completely and break up any large chunks.
- Make the filling: in a large bowl, add the ricotta cheese, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and fully combined. Set aside.
- Gently unroll the room temperature cake, spread about 1 and 1/2 cup of the filling on top leaving a 1/2 inch border around the cake. Roll the cake back up and place it on a serving plate. Frost the cake with the remaining ricotta filling. Chop the candied almonds and top the frosted cake roll with your chopped candied almonds.
- Chill for 3-4 hours or overnight, slice and serve. Keep leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
This was a delicious cake roll, thanks!
Made for my mother’s birthday. Will definitely make again. There were no leftovers. Thank you for the recipe!