Last Updated on January 4, 2021 by Bianka
How to make the BEST Sweet Potato Fries from scratch! This easy baked sweet potato fries recipe will teach how to make crispy sweet potatoes at home! In this post you’ll also find a Spicy Aioli dipping sauce recipe + a list of best dipping sauces for sweet potato fries & how to make them!
These fries are naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free & Vegan.
Baked Crispy Sweet Potato Fries with Aioli
Hey loves! Today I’m bringing you these delicious Sweet Potato Fries with Aioli! Perfectly crispy & so easy to make!
These are perfect as an appetizer, snack, side or… have you ever had sweet potato fries for breakfast? Because they’re just perfect lol (no joke).
I specifically love these with Spicy Aioli so I’ll obvi hook you up with my go-to Aioli recipe. I’ll also include a list of the best dipping sauces for sweet potato fries & how to make them, just in case you’re not an Aioli person! 🙂
I really went all out for this post because I wanted to give you guys ALLL the tips & tricks to master crispy sweet potato fries at home so *WELCOME* to the one & only Sweet Potato Fries Bible!
How to make Sweet Potato Fries
As usual you’ll find the full recipe + ingredients in the recipe card down below but this is what to expect:
- Cut the peeled sweet potatoes into 1/4-inch thick strips.
- Soak them in cold water for at least 30 minutes, then rinse, drain & blot them!
- Coat them in oil, I recommend using high-quality olive oil for best flavor.
- Mix together cornstarch and dry seasonings, then toss them with your sweet potatoes until evenly coated on all sides.
- Place the fries on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, make sure they’re laying in a single layer & are not overlapping (if you overcrowd the pan they will steam and turn out soggy!). I usually use 2 large baking sheets for this recipe.
- Bake until crispy and golden brown.
- Flip the fries halfway through bake time to keep them from sticking or burning.
- Make the Spicy Aioli dipping sauce while the fries are baking (or your favorite dip).
How to cut them
Start by peeling them with a peeler, then cut off the ends with a chef knife.
Cut them in half lengthwise, then cut each half in half lengthwise and finally cut each piece into several 1/4-inch thick strips. Cut them evenly to ensure even baking!
Why soak Sweet Potato Fries in water?
Why soak sweet potatoes in water?! Seems like a waste of time, right? Nope! This 30-minute step is what makes sweet potato fries crispy *CRISPY*!
Basically, soaking your fries in cold water removes the excess potato starch & helps them crisp up in the oven so don’t skip this step if you’re looking for super crispy fries!
After they have soaked, it’s also important to drain, rinse & blot them with a clean kitchen towel!
Why cornstarch on Sweet Potato Fries?
Just like the cold water bath, adding cornstarch helps with crispiness! If you like crispy, you shouldn’t skip this step!
What temperature Sweet Potato Fries in oven?
They should bake at high heat: I recommend 425F.
Basically, what you want to do is “fry” them in the oven. When your oven is really hot, the thin layer of oil + cornstarch will fry making your fries ultra crispy 🙂
Are Sweet Potato Fries gluten free / vegan?
Yes, these are 100% gluten-free, dairy-free & vegan! Make sure all the ingredients you’re using are GF, DF and/or Vegan before starting this recipe.
The spicy Aioli sauce is gluten-free but not dairy-free/vegan.
Are Baked Sweet Potato Fries healthy?
Homemade baked sweet potato fries are generally healthier than deep-fried french fries. They’re also more nutrient-rich than regular french fries but are higher in carbohydrates.
While they’re healthier than fries, you still shouldn’t eat them every day or in large portions: too much of anything is never a good idea! Please remember that there are no bad or good foods, food is food & moderation is key.
Best dipping sauces:
Here are some of my favorite dipping sauces for these baked fries:
- Spicy Aioli (scroll down to the recipe card down below to get the recipe!)
- Honey Mustard: 1/4 cup honey – 1/4 cup mayo – 1/4 cup Dijon mustard – 1 tbsp white dist. vinegar – 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper.
- Maple Ketchup: 1/2 cup ketchup – 5 tbsp mayo – 2 or 3 tbsp maple syrup – salt to taste (optional).
- Chipotle Mayo: 1/2 mayo – 2 tbsp water – 2 tbsp lime juice – 1 tsp paprika – 1/2 tsp chili powder – 1/8 tsp chipotle powder – salt to taste.
- Sriracha Mayo: 1/4 cup sour cream – 1/4 cup mayo – 2 tbsp lime juice – 1 tsp Sriracha sauce or to taste.
What do you eat with baked fries?
Ooo! I have SO many favorites, here are some of them:
- Hot Honey Oven Fried Chicken
- Oven Fried Cajun Popcorn Chicken
- Baked Honey Dijon Chicken
- Meatballs In Beer Sauce
More Snacks / Appetizers for Game Day or parties:
- Vietnamese Fried Spring Rolls With Dipping Sauce
- Cheesy Turkey Cheddar Sliders With Smoked Paprika Butter
- Savory Pumpkin Twists With Puff Pastry
- Pan Fried Feta Cheese With Honey And Sesame
- Cherry Tomato Tarte Tatin with Feta
What’s your favorite option so far? I’d love to know!!! If I had to pick one I’d go with my Hot Honey Oven Fried Chicken, it’s just SO crispy & delicious!!
HAPPY BAKING LOVES!! I hope you’ll love these babies as much as I do!
PS: Please leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ⭐️ if you make it! Your comments make my day!! You can also tag me on Instagram @itsdamnspicy 🌈💘
- Chinese Eggplants With Spicy Garlic Sauce
- Spicy Honey Garlic Glazed Carrots
- Russian Piroshki With Potatoes And Meat
- Potato Churros with Queso Dip
How to make the BEST Sweet Potato Fries With Aioli
For the Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 lb sweet potatoes peeled
- 2 tbsp high-quality olive oil
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper I recommend using freshly-cracked black pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
For the Spicy Aioli Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic grated or minced
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
- Kosher salt to taste
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut each half in half lengthwise and finally cut each piece into several 1/4-inch thick strips.
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and add the sweet potato fries to the water. Soak them for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Drain the fries, rinse & blot them with a clean kitchen towel. Make sure the fries are completely dry before moving onto the next step!
- Add the fries to a large shallow bowl, pour in the oil and toss until evenly coated.
- In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper. Add the mixture to the fries and toss until evenly coated on all sides.
- Place the fries on your prepared baking sheets. Make sure they're laying in a single layer and aren't overlapping or they will steam and turn out soggy.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the fries from the oven, flip each fry and return to the oven. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until crispy. It's okay for the tips to brown a bit! Serve immediately!
- While the fries are baking you can make the Aioli sauce! Simply add all the ingredients to a small bowl and mix until combined. See the original post on DamnSpicy.com for a list of the best dipping sauces for sweet potato fries & how to make them!