Step up your baked chicken game with this Hot Honey Oven Fried Chicken With Buttermilk! Marinated in buttermilk, breaded in cornflakes and spices, and drizzled with hot honey, this baked chicken tastes better than actual fried chicken (promise)!!
HOT HONEY OVEN FRIED CHICKEN WITH BUTTERMILK
You like birds? Because I do. I love them crispy and drowned in hot honey. Like, WOW. If you need to step up your chicken game, this is the recipe you’re looking for.
Look, I’m like the biggest fan of fried chicken and this isn’t another sad oven fried chicken recipe that makes you wanna cry and head over to KFC to get your fix. It’s a really-freakin-good-oven-fried-chicken-recipe that’s gonna make you *STOP* going to KFC. Dramatic, but like, it needs to be said. It’s *that* good.
Now, what really takes this chicken to the next level, is the hot honey. I know you might have a favorite sauce but please give hot honey a try. It takes 2 minutes to make and it’s a game-changer. The savory, sweet, and spicy combo is *so* delicious. You have to try it.
So grab all the birds you can find, and let’s get started!!
HOW DO YOU MAKE THE BEST OVEN FRIED CHICKEN WITH BUTTERMILK?
- Marinate the chicken in buttermilk and salt. I like to marinate it for like 30 minutes because I’m an impatient b*tch but you can marinate it for up to 2 hours. Keep it in the refrigerator!!
- Crush corn flakes into small crumbs and add paprika, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt, and flour and pepper to your crushed cornflakes. You also want to add 1 tbsp of flour to the mixture, flour can be substituted with cornstarch for gluten-free eaters. Corn flakes will make your chicken extra crispy and fun to bite into!
- Dredge the chicken in your corn flake mixture and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Brush the chicken with vegetable oil. I *always* do this whenever I oven fry food, be it chicken or donuts. The oil will sizzle and basically fry the coating making it super flavorful and extra crispy so don’t skip this step!!
- Bake, meanwhile make the hot honey by combining melted butter with honey, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt. When your chicken is ready, drizzle it with your hot honey and serve!!
HAPPY COOKING LOVES!! I hope you’ll love this easy oven fried chicken as much as I do! Please leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating if you make it! I LOVE hearing from you! 💘
OH! YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE MY:
- Oven Fried Cajun Popcorn Chicken with Chipotle Mayo
- Meatballs In Beer Sauce
- The Ultimate Juicy Turkey Cheeseburger
- Roasted Spicy Lebanese Potatoes
Hot Honey Over Fried Chicken With Buttermilk
For the Oven Fried Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken you can use any kind, breasts, thighs, fillets.
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup whole milk + 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 cups crushed cornflakes
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour or cornstarch for gluten-free eaters
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or more, to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for brushing
For the Hot Honey Sauce
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter melted and still hot
- 2 tbsp liquid honey
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt or to taste
- Add the chicken to a zip lock bag, then add in the buttermilk and salt. Massage the chicken, then pop in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, add the crushed cornflakes, flour, smoked paprika, cumin, red pepper flakes, and ground black pepper. Mix until combined.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and dredge each piece in your corn flake mixture. Place each piece on your prepared baking sheet. Brush the chicken with vegetable oil right before baking.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes or until crispy and fully cooked through. For fillets, 10 minutes is usually enough but for thick chicken breasts or thighs, it may need to bake for up to 20 minutes. Flip halfway through if necessary.
- Meanwhile, prepare the hot honey. In a small bowl, combine together the hot melted butter, liquid honey, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, chili powder, and salt.
- Remove the baked chicken from the oven, drizzle the chicken with hot honey and serve immediately!