Last Updated on December 17, 2020 by Bianka
Deliciously Crispy Baked Cajun Popcorn Chicken: this easy Oven Fried Popcorn Chicken recipe yields crispy chicken bites that are packed with flavor and perfect to satisfy your fried chicken cravings as they taste exactly like fried chicken! Dip them in honey mustard, hot honey, mayo or your favorite sauce!
BAKED POPCORN CAJUN CHICKEN
HELLO CHICKEN NUGGETS lol! Today we’re oven-frying some birds, again! I swear people sleep on chicken, especially Baked Chicken or Oven-Fried Chicken. And I get it, sometimes it’s kinda meh. BUT LOOK, I’m here to hook you up with the Best Baked Popcorn Chicken Recipe ever (bold statement but it’s true).
This bird right here, it tastes like *actual* fried chicken.
ACTUAL fried chicken. I promise.
I wouldn’t even share this recipe with you if it wasn’t worth it. So *please*, try it. If you’re a fried chicken addict (I am), you’re going to be *so* pleasantly surprised by this recipe! It’s crispy, crunchy, perfectly cooked on the inside, and absolutely packed with flavor! I mean… it’s *Cajun* chicken!! SO GOOD.
I like dipping these chicken bites in chipotle mayo but comeback sauce, honey mustard, hot honey, and regular mayo will work too!
2 TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST BAKED POPCORN CHICKEN
- Use finely crushed corn flakes to coat your chicken. I recommend using a food processor to save time (and energy)! Please don’t use bread crumbs for this recipe :(. Crushed corn flakes are what make this baked popcorn chicken taste and feel like real fried chicken!
- Brush the chicken with oil right before baking it: the oil will heat, sizzle, and literally fry the coating of your chicken making it real crispy & delicious. I do this with my oven-fried donuts too, such a great trick!!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BAKED CAJUN CHICKEN?
These are some of my favorite options:
- Spicy Lebanese Potatoes
- Spicy Honey Garlic Glazed Carrots
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Pan Fried Feta Cheese With Honey And Sesame
- Greek Lemon Rice
- Healthy Oven Roasted Vegetables
As for drinks, I love me some iced Pepsi. WOW. Call me a #basicb*tch.
HAPPY COOKING BABES!! I hope you’ll love my Baked Cajun Chicken as much as I do! Please leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating if you make it! I LOVE hearing from you! <3
OH! YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE MY:
- Baked Coconut Popcorn Chicken with Creamy Honey Mustard
- Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- Cheesy Turkey Sliders with Dijon Butter
- Spicy Lebanese Potatoes
Baked Cajun Popcorn Chicken
For the Baked Cajun Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless chicken cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup milk + 1 and 1/2 tsp lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups corn flakes finely crushed (a few bigger crumbs are okay)
- 2 tbsp flour or gluten-free flour for GF eaters
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning mix
- Vegetable oil for brushing
For the Homemade Chipotle Mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream or mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or regular paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1/8 tsp chipotle powder or adobo sauce
- In a large ziplock bag, combine the buttermilk, cubed chicken, and salt. Toss and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add the crushed corn flakes, flour, and cajun seasoning. Mix to combine.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and coat each piece with the corn flake mixture, then place onto your prepared baking sheet. Do not crowd the pans or the chicken won't come out crispy!
- Gently brush or drizzle the chicken with some vegetable oil. The oil will sizzle and basically fry the corn flake coating making your chicken extra crispy so don't skip this step!
- Bake for 10-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (the inside should be white). Mine usually takes 10 minutes but if your chicken is thicker it might take a bit longer.
- Meanwhile, make the chipotle mayo. In a bowl, add the sour cream or mayonnaise, water, lime juice, paprika, chili powder, salt, and chipotle powder. Mix until fully combined. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired. Remove the chicken from the oven and serve with your homemade chipotle mayo!