Rich and creamy, this Vegan Caramel Pudding comes together in under 30 minutes and it’s literally the perfect date-night dessert! It’s classy and delicate. Top it with coconut whipped cream, extra caramel and salt to take it to the next level!
Vegan Caramel Pudding with Coconut Milk
Hey loves. Today I’m bringing you this creamy Vegan Caramel Pudding with coconut milk topped with vegan caramel & flaky salt.
If you’re into delicate, classy desserts, you’ll *love* these. And you don’t have to be vegan to enjoy them (I’m not!).
You only need 6 ingredients, 2 ramekins and some extra time to allow these baby to chill and set in the refrigerator (this makes them a vegan make-ahead dessert too!).
This recipe makes two puddings so it’s perfect for a cute date night or Valentine’s Day but feel free to double it if you need more puddings 🙂 .
Bonus point: they’re gluten-free & dairy-free too!
Grab the coconut milk & let’s go 🥂.
Ingredients for Vegan Caramel Pudding
You’ll find the full recipe + ingredients in the recipe card down below but this is what you’ll need:
- Full-fat canned coconut milk. I always get Aroy-D Coconut Milk at my local asian supermarket but feel free to use your favorite brand, just make sure it’s full-fat canned coconut milk.
- Brown sugar. For this recipe I used Muscovato sugar but coconut sugar and regular brown sugar will work too. I went for Muscovado because it’s unrefined, raw brown sugar with a strong molasses flavor that dissolves within seconds. Basically a dream. If you have some at home, definitely use it in this recipe because it’ll add some extra richness to your pudding.
- Unsweetened coconut milk. Regular coconut milk this time. Almond or soy will work too.
- Vanilla extract. I recommend using a high-quality vanilla extract for this recipe, I personally like alcohol-free extracts because I can *always* taste the alcohol in regular vanilla extracts lol.
- Coconut extract. This is optional. If you’re a fan of coconut and want your pudding to taste more like a coconut flan, definitely add some coconut extract!
- Salt. Optional! If you want to make this into a vegan salted caramel pudding, sprinkle in some extra salt!
How to make Vegan Caramel Pudding
You’ll find the full recipe with step-by-step instructions in the recipe card down below but this is what to expect:
- Cook half of the canned coconut milk and sugar on high heat until thick and golden brown.
- Add the remaining canned coconut milk, cornstarch and unsweetened coconut milk to a medium bowl, mix until combined and then pour into the coconut sugar mixture.
- Cook on high until the mixture is creamy and thick like custard. Whisk in the vanilla extract, coconut extract (optional) and salt (optional).
- Pour into ramekins. Make sure your ramekins are heat-proof and safe to use in the refrigerator or they will shatter. Let the puddings cool down to almost room temperature before popping them in the refrigerator.
- Chill, top with your favorite toppings and serve. I used coconut whipped cream and a vegan caramel sauce made with canned coconut milk and brown sugar, I’ll include all the details in the recipe card down below!
How to store Vegan Caramel Pudding
Cover each ramekin with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Do not store the puddings with toppings, add them right before serving or they will wilt/melt! 🙂
HAPPY BAKING LOVES!! I hope you’ll love this creamy vegan caramel pudding as much as I do!
PS: Please leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ⭐️ if you make it! Your comments make my day!! You can also tag me on Instagram @itsdamnspicy 🌈💘
- Panna Cotta with Berry Sauce
- Small Batch Brownies For Two
- Russian Chocolate Cake Truffles
- Best Mochi Brownies
Vegan Caramel Pudding with Coconut Milk
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 4 tbsp Muscovado sugar or coconut sugar or regular brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk or almond or soy milk
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt optional, for salted caramel puddings
- Coconut extract optional, to taste
- Topping ideas: coconut whipped cream, vegan caramel sauce (see notes*) or melted chocolate.
- Pour 1/2 cup of canned coconut milk and the sugar into a medium pot. Heat over high heat until the mixture comes to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring constantly, until the mixture gets thicker and darker in color. Turn off the heat.
- In a medium bowl, add the remaining canned coconut milk, unsweetenened coconut milk, and cornstarch. Mix until the cornstarch has dissolved completely, then pour the mixture into the coconut and sugar mixture.
- Place the pot over medium heat and cook until the mixture thickens and turns into a custard-like consistency. Stir constantly. This might take 10-20 minutes, the more you cook your pudding, the thicker and firmer it'll be once it sets. I like mine at 20 minutes but for an even creamier pudding 15 minutes is usually enough.
- Turn off the heat and immediately stir in the vanilla extract, coconut extract (optional), and salt (optional). Pour the mixture into heat-proof ramekins (make sure they're safe to use in the refrigerator) then allow the puddings to cool down to room temperature before covering them with plastic wrap and placing them in the refrigerator.
- Chill for 2-3 hours or until set. Top with coconut whipped cream, caramel sauce (see notes*) or melted chocolate and serve immediately.
📷 DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?! Tag @itsdamnspicy on Instagram and hashtag it #itsdamnspicy