This Mexican Pulled Chicken Recipe is quick and easy to make and can be turned into 7 different dishes! You only need 1 pan and 30 minutes to make this spicy and flavorful Mexican shredded chicken!
Mexican Pulled Chicken Recipe
Today I’m sharing with you this extra flavorful Mexican Pulled Chicken Recipe! 🙂
This chicken dish is ready in just 30 minutes and it’s delicious served over a bowl of fluffy rice. I’ll give you more ideas on how to turn this easy chicken recipe it into 7 different dishes below so stay tuned for that!
Let’s make it!
Ingredients for Mexican Pulled Chicken
Check the recipe card down below for the full list of ingredients + instructions!
- Olive oil.
- Chicken. I recommend using chicken breasts for this recipe but fillets can also work, in that case make sure to adjust the cooking time (fillets cook faster).
- Cumin. Use ground cumin for this recipe.
- Paprika. I recommend using smoked paprika for best flavor but sweet will work too.
- Chili powder.
- Broth. I recommend using chicken broth for extra flavor but vegetable broth will work too (I tested it and it was just as delicious!).
- Chipotle pepper in adobo sauce. You can use your favorite hot sauce (to taste) if you can’t find this ingredient or omit it entirely if you don’t want your chicken to be spicy.
- Lime juice. Lemon will work too.
How to make pulled chicken
Check the recipe card down below for the step-by-step instructions!
- Cook the chicken. Coat the chicken in spices and cook on both sides until fully cooked through. Chicken is safe to eat when the center has reached 165F (I recommend using a kitchen thermometer if you’re not sure, I like this one because it’s accurate and quick and easy to use).
- Shred the chicken. I recommend using two forks for this step, once you’re done you can add it back to the skillet and add in the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer the shredded chicken until the broth has absorbed completely and serve!
7 Ways to use Mexican Pulled Chicken
- Serve it over a bowl of fluffy rice!
- Add it to your salad.
- Use it as a taco, burrito or enchilada filling.
- Mix it into your favorite pasta salad.
- Turn it into a chicken sandwich!
- Use it as a veggie boat filling like squash boats or zucchini boats!
- Add it to a soup for a cozier feeling!
How to store and reheat leftovers
You can store leftover pulled chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
To reheat it, add it to a skillet with a few tablespoons of broth and heat over medium-low heat until fully heated through (165 F).
HAPPY COOKING LOVES!! I hope you’ll love this quick and easy Mexican Shredded Chicken Recipe as much as I do!
PS: Please leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ⭐️ if you make it! Your comments make my day!! You can also tag me on Instagram @itsdamnspicy 🌈💘
- Ecuadorian Coca Cola Chicken
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Baked Cajun Popcorn Chicken with Chipotle Mayo
- Mexican Street Corn Salad (Esquites Recipe)
Mexican Pulled Chicken Recipe
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb (453 g) chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce or use your favorite hot sauce to taste or omit entirely if you don't want your chicken to be spicy
- 2 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- Season the chicken. Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, and salt to a small bowl. Mix until combined, then add half of the spice mix to one side of the chicken making sure it's evenly coated.
- Cook the chicken. Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is sizzling, add the chicken (seasoned side down) and add the remaining half of the spice mix to the unseasoned side of the chicken. Cook for 3-4 more minutes, then flip, cover with a lid keeping the lid slightly off-center to allow steam to escape and cook for another 7-8 minutes or until fully cooked through, then turn off the heat and transfer the chicken to a clean plate.
- Shred the chicken into bite-size pieces using two forks, then return the shredded chicken back into the skillet.
- Combine the remaining ingredients. Add in the broth, chipotle pepper, and lime juice, and mix. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for 5-6 minutes or until the broth has evaporated completely.
- Serve over a bowl of fluffy rice topped with fresh cilantro (if you like it), or add it to your favorite salad, pasta salad, soup, chicken sandwich, or use it as a filling for tacos, burritos, or enchiladas.
📷 DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?! Tag @itsdamnspicy on Instagram and hashtag it #itsdamnspicy