A fun and fluffy Nutella Swiss Roll filled with a rich and creamy Nutella and mascarpone frosting. Soft, chocolatey, and covered in sprinkles, this cake roll is the perfect dessert for birthdays and special occasions!
Nutella Swiss Roll
Today I’m sharing with you how to make this fluffy Nutella Swiss Roll!
I call this my “Birthday Cake Roll” because of all the sprinkles and it uses my master Vanilla Swiss Roll Recipe as a base.
The sponge cake is extremely light and fluffy, unlike any other cake roll out there: it almost feels like sticking a fork right into a cloud!
The filling is creamy, decadent, and chocolatey but only requires 2 ingredients and comes together in just 2 minutes.
You will *love* this cake roll, it’s truly the perfect way to celebrate a special occasion!
Why you’ll love this dessert
- Incredibly soft and fluffy
- Filled with a rich Nutella + Mascarpone filling
- Easy to make
- Extra chocolatey
- No cake flour or cream of tartar required
- You can make it ahead of time!
Full measurements included in the recipe card below 🙂 .
- Eggs. You’ll need both egg whites and yolks but you’ll use them separately so make sure to be careful when it’s time to separate them as you’ll need to whip the egg whites (even a tiny bit of egg yolk can prevent the whites from whipping). Make sure your eggs are at room temperature!
- Sugar. Stick to white granulated sugar for this recipe!
- Oil. I recommend a neutral oil like vegetable or sunflower oil. No peanut, olive, or coconut oil.
- Milk. I recommend using whole milk for this recipe, make sure it’s at room temperature!
- Vanilla extract. Use a high-quality vanilla extract if possible!
- Vinegar will help you stabilize the egg whites so don’t skip this ingredient!
- All-purpose flour. I recommend using a scale to weigh your flour as you’ll need to be very precise!
- Cornstarch will make your cake roll extra soft and fluffy!
- Mascarpone. You’ll use this for the filling and to create a thin layer of frosting for the sprinkles! For reference, Mascarpone is an Italian “cheese” that is more like thickened cream. It tastes like butter but it works wonders when mixed with other ingredients as it’s incredibly rich and creamy!
- Nutella. You can also use your favorite hazelnut spread, it doesn’t have to be Ferrero’s Nutella. Other brands will work too, just make sure they’re good quality for best flavor. Because hazelnuts spreads contain sugar, you won’t have to add any extra sugar to the filling!
How to make Nutella Swiss Roll
Step-by-step instructions included in the recipe card below 🙂 .
To make this swiss roll, you’ll need a 9 x 13 inch baking sheet. Please don’t use larger or smaller baking sheets as the result will be different.
Make sure to line your baking sheet with parchment paper for easy removal: you’ll have to remove the cake from the pan while it’s still hot!
In a large bowl, beat together the egg yolks and sugar. I like to do this with a hand-held mixer but you can also use a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Then, add in the oil, milk, and vanilla extract and beat until just combined. Set aside but work quickly: you don’t want the batter to sit for too long!
In a separate large bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy, then add in the vinegar and sugar and beat until fluffy with soft peaks. Peaks are considered soft when you remove the whisk and they form a soft, curved tail. Do not overbeat the egg whites.
Fold the whipped egg whites into the egg yolk mixture in multiple additions. I recommend using a silicone spatula to fold them in but a wooden spoon will work too. Be very gentle to keep the egg whites from deflating. If the eggs deflate, your cake roll won’t be as soft and fluffy!
Gently pour the batter into your prepared baking sheet, smooth out the top with a spatula and bake until golden on top. You can test for doneness by gently poking the cake with your index finger: if it springs back, it’s done! If your oven has a fan, make sure it’s turned off.
Immediately drop the baking sheet from a height of 1 inch (2.54 cm) to prevent the cake from shrinking, then invert the hot cake onto a clean kitchen towel sprinkled with granulated sugar. I usually stick to 1/4 cup of sugar for this step. Make sure it’s sprinkled evenly because it’ll prevent your cake from sticking to the towel.
Peel off the parchment paper and roll up the cake using the kitchen towel. Allow it to cool down to room temperature (rolled up). I like to place my swiss roll underneath the ac or in front of a fan to speed up the cooling process.
When you’re ready to fill the cake roll, make the filling by combining mascarpone and Nutella into a large bowl, then beat until combined and creamy. Use a spatula to spread the filling onto the cake, roll it up and allow to chill and set in the refrigerator for 3 hours before slicing.
When you’re ready to serve the cake roll, spread the creamy mascarpone onto the rolled-up cake. Make sure it’s a really thin layer: you don’t want to taste it, the goal is to create a thin layer of “glue” for the sprinkles to stick onto.
Finally, top with sprinkles and use an off-set spatula or a chef knife to stick the sprinkles onto the sides of the cake roll. Serve immediately!
Keep in mind that the sprinkles will inevitably melt and stain the mascarpone over time, so it’s best to decorate right before serving!
Can you make it in advance?
Yes, I actually recommend it! Swiss rolls need time to set, that’s why you’re supposed to let them chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours before slicing and serving.
You can make this cake roll one day ahead of time and let it chill in the refrigerator overnight. Frost with whipped cream and top with sprinkles right before serving.
How to store a swiss roll
You can store your cake roll covered in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Keep in mind that the sprinkles will inevitably melt and stain the mascarpone over time.
Do not freeze this cake roll.
HAPPY BAKING!! I hope you’ll love this Nutella Swiss Roll Recipe as much as I do!
PS: Please leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ⭐️ if you make it! Your comments make my day!! You can also tag me on Instagram @itsdamnspicy 🌈💘
More desserts you’ll love…
Nutella Swiss Roll (Birthday Cake Roll)
For the Cake Roll
- 3 egg yolks room temperature
- 2 tbsp (30 g) white granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) milk room temperature
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2.1 oz or 1/2 cup minus 1 tbsp (60 g) all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 tbsp (7 g) cornstarch sifted
- 3 egg whites room temperature
- 2 tbsp (30 g) white granulated sugar
For the Filling
- 1/2 cup (150 g) hazelnut spread such as Nutella
- 1/2 cup (115 g) mascarpone room temperature, plus more for frosting
- 1/3 cup or 2.7 oz (75 g) sprinkles for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C). Line a 9 x 13 inch (22 x 33 cm) baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Make the batter. In a large bowl, beat together the yolks and sugar until combined (about 60 seconds). Add in the oil, milk, and vanilla extract and beat until combined again (about 30 seconds). Sift in the flour and cornstarch and beat until combined and smooth (about 15 seconds), scraping the sides of the bowl from time to time. Set aside.
- Whip the egg whites. In a separate large bowl, whip the egg whites until frothy, then add in the vinegar and sugar, and whip until fluffy with soft peaks.
- Combine the batter. Using a silicone spatula, gently fold the whipped egg whites into the egg yolk mixture in multiple additions (preferably 2-3). Fold until fully combined. Work very gently to prevent the batter from deflating.
- Bake. Gently pour the batter into your prepared baking sheet and use a silicone spatula to smooth out the top. Bake for 14-15 minutes or until golden on top. You can test for doneness by gently poking the cake with your index finger: it should spring back. While the cake is baking, lay a clean kitchen towel on a worksurface and sprinkle it with 1/4 cup of granulated sugar making sure the sugar is evenly sprinkled across the towel.
- Roll up the cake. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, drop the baking pan from a height of 1 inch (2.5 cm) to keep it from shrinking, then lift it out of the baking sheet and immediately invert it onto the prepared kitchen towel. Gently peel off the parchment paper and immediately roll up the cake with the kitchen towel. Allow to cool down to room temperature before moving onto the next step.
- Fill the cake roll. When the cake has cooled down, make the frosting. In a large bowl, combine together the mascarpone and Nutella. Beat until fully combined and creamy. Using a spatula, gently spread the filling on top of the cake and then roll the cake back up. Cover the and let it chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours before decorating and serving.
- Decorate. When you're ready to serve the cake roll, use some of the mascarpone to create a thin layer of frosting. Use 2-4 tbsp of room temperature mascarpone for this step. Use an offset spatula or a butter knife to spread the mascarpone on top of the rolled-up cake. Finally, top with sprinkles and use an offset spatula or a chef knife to stick the sprinkles onto the sides of the cake roll. Serve immediately!
📷 DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?! Tag @itsdamnspicy on Instagram and hashtag it #itsdamnspicy