These Red Bean Burgers are healthy, hearty, and absolutely *packed* with flavor thanks to the sauteed onions, garlic, spices, feta cheese, and mustard! If you’re sick of store-bought veggie burgers, you absolutely need these babies in your life! They’re nice and compact with a meaty texture (not mushy or crumbly!) and are *so* easy to make! Vegetarian + Gluten-free!
The Best Red Bean Burgers
Hello world!!! Today we’re making Red Bean Burgers or – the BEST red bean burgers. I’ll explain! Picture a nice and compact veggie burger made with red beans, sauteed onions, garlic, feta cheese, Dijon mustard, mayo, cumin, cajun, and smoked paprika. FLAVOR GALORE B*TCHES!
No but really, personally I’m *done* with store-bought veggie burgers, I stopped eating them over a year ago because a) they had NO flavor whatsoever (yes, all of them), b) they made me *so* bloated. I actually started wondering what the hell they put in all these burgers because they got me looking like a whole hot air balloon.
So anyway, I’m done ranting, I had to find an alternative and these are IT. See that meaty texture? Yea, that’s what makes these babies meat-eater approved.
I would know because I’m the meat-eater and I’m real picky about vegetarian alternatives but these burgers are *so* flavorful and the texture is *so* perfect that you’ll literally forget about meat like you won’t miss it at all when eating these. Win.
Oh and they’re 100% gluten-free (no breadcrumbs baby) which is great if you’re GF! You could also make these dairy-free but you’ll have to leave out the feta cheese in that case.
LET’S GET STARTED!!!
How To Make Bean Burgers From Scratch
- Bake the canned beans until slightly dried out. This step is *essential* because it’s what makes a veggie burger compact and not mushy. Simply spread them onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and pop them in the oven. Roasting the beans only takes 15 minutes and will really take your bean burgers to the next level.
- Sautee the onions and garlic until soft and fragrant. Another super important step because sauteed onions & garlic will add *so* much flavor to your burgers. Drain and blot the onions + garlic before moving onto the next step; you don’t want any extra oil or moisture in the mixture!
- Add the beans, onions, and garlic to a food processor and pulse a few times. The mixture doesn’t have to be silky smooth, you want to leave some chunks of beans in there for some texture. You can also do this in a bowl with a fork if you don’t have a food processor.
- Add in the remaining ingredients (spices, crumbled feta cheese, finely crushed cornflakes, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, egg) and mix everything together. Flavor, flavor, flavor!
- Form into patties. I like using a 1/3 cup to scoop out the mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, make sure you flip them halfway through bake time! Your burgers are ready when they have crispy outsides.
I *love* these with some fresh tomatoes, salad, a slice of cheddar cheese, hot sauce, and a super soft bun. Add a generous drizzle of hot honey to that and I’m golden 😍.
HAPPY COOKING LOVES!! I hope you’ll love these Easy Bean Burgers as much as I do!
Please leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating if you make them! I LOVE hearing from you! 💘
OH! YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE MY:
- Oh So Easy Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Chinese Eggplants With Spicy Garlic Sauce
- Spicy Lebanese Potatoes (Batata Harra Recipe)
- Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
The Best Red Bean Burgers (Gluten-Free)
- 2 14 oz cans red beans rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 and 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cajun
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup finely crushed cornflakes
- 2 large eggs
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spread the rinsed and drained beans onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast the beans in the oven until they're slightly dried out (about 15 minutes). You want the outer skins to be slightly crunchy and most of the beans split open.
- While the beans are roasting, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add in the onion and garlic and saute until soft and fragrant (5-6 minutes). Remove from the heat and blot the onion and garlic to get the extra oil and moisture out.
- In a large food processor (or bowl) add in the sauteed onions and garlic, cumin, cajun, smoked paprika, crumbled feta cheese, mayonnaise, mustard, crushed cornflakes, eggs, salt, and pepper. Pulse (or mash with a fork if using a bowl) until combined. Add in the red beans and pulse (or mash) leaving some larger chunks of beans for texture.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop out 1/3 cup of the mixture and shape into a patty. Place the prepared patties on the baking sheet and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes, make sure to flip the burgers halfway through bake time. The burgers are ready when they have crispy outsides. Serve! Store any leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.