Make this quick and easy Veggie Vermicelli Stir Fry for dinner tonight! Loaded with fresh cabbage, onions, carrots, and garlic, and topped with a delicious Homemade Stir Fry Sauce! Healthier than take-out but just as good, naturally Vegan + Gluten-Free.
Veggie Vermicelli Stir Fry
Hey babes, I’m keeping dinner simple, healthy, AND delicious tonight with this quick and easy vermicelli stir fry! It’s loaded with fresh veggies and made with a 2-minute homemade stir-fry sauce (ditch the storebought one plz).
The best thing about this dish is that you can customize it and add whatever you have in your pantry or what you prefer! Maybe you love mushrooms, tofu, eggplants, or even meat or fish if you’re not vegan (chicken or shrimp would be delicious!).
What you’ll need for this dish
- Rice vermicelli noodles
- Onions (sweet or red)
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- White pepper (black will work too)
+ Other options
If you want to add more ingredients to your stir fry or substitute some of the ones I’m using, these are some great options:
- Crispy tofu (baked or pan-fried)
- Eggs (scrambled or fried)
How to cook Vermicelli noodles
Vermicelli noodles are supposed to be soft but tender, not soggy or mushy. To get that delicious tender texture, you want to use high quality rice Vermicelli. Unfortunately, some rice Vermicelli brands are just NOT IT: they tend to get soggy and break easily even if you follow all the instructions to a T ⏤ it’s not you girl, it’s the cheap Vermicelli!!! lol
So make sure you get a good brand! Next you want to soak & drain your Vermicelli noodles before adding them to your stir fry. Soaking time may vary, some brands say just 2 minutes, while others recommend 15 ⏤ like really!!!
Best way to find out: start with 2-3 minutes, then check. Your Vermicelli is supposed to be soft but still firm to the touch. I like to soak mine in cold water. BTW, according to the brand I use, I’m supposed to soak them for just 2 minutes but I don’t think that’s enough, I usually do 5.
Once they’re done soaking, drain them and after that, they’re ready to be added to your stir fry! I do this before adding the veggies to the pan, so by the time I add in the Vermicelli, they’re perfectly drained and springy!
HAPPY COOKING LOVES!! I hope you’ll love this quick and easy Veggie Vermicelli Stir Fry as much as I do!
PS: Please leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ⭐️ if you make it! I LOVE hearing from you! 💘
- Chinese Eggplants With Spicy Garlic Sauce
- Scallion Pancakes with Soy Ginger Sauce
- Vietnamese Fried Spring Rolls With Dipping Sauce
- Easy Healthy Chinese Lemon Chicken
Veggie Vermicelli Stir Fry (Vegan)
For The Stir Fry
- 7 oz rice Vermicelli
- 2-3 tbsp peanut oil or coconut oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 5 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots about 2 carrots
For The Homemade Stir Fry Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 and 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- Start by soaking the Vermicelli. Fill a large bowl with cold water, add in the Vermicelli, and let it soak for 2-5 minutes. The Vermicelli should be soft but not limp. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare the stir-fry sauce. In a medium bowl, add the water, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Mix until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok over medium heat, add the peanut oil. Heat the oil until hot, then add in the diced onions and saute for 2-3 minutes then add in the minced garlic and saute for another 2-3 minutes or until soft and fragrant.
- Add in the shredded cabbage, mix (I recommend using chopsticks for this) and cook for 2-3 minutes or until soft but not completely wilted. Add in the carrots, mix. Add in the Vermicelli and mix, then immediately pour in the stir-fry sauce, mix and cover with a lid. Steam for 3-5 minutes, then remove the lid and turn off the heat. Serve immediately! Top with sweet chili sauce, fresh spring onions or toasted sesame seeds if desired.