Truly the Best Animal Style Fries Recipe: french fries topped with gooey, melted American cheese, caramelized onions, and homemade Animal Style Sauce! This recipe is quick & easy and better than In n Out!
Best Animal Style Fries Recipe
Hey guys, I’m back with another copycat recipe and today I’m sharing with you how to make Animal Style Fries at home!
Animal Style fries are basically french fries topped with gooey American cheese, caramelized onions, and their secret Animal Style sauce (we’ll make the sauce too!).
This recipe is super easy and quick to make and it yields about 12 servings so it’s great for parties, game nights, or special occasions! It can easily be doubled or halved if desired.
Let’s gets started! 💕
What are Animal Style Fries
In n Out Animal Style fries are french fries topped with melted American cheese, caramelized onions and their signature Animal Style sauce.
They’re served exclusively at In n Out and they’re part of their “Not So Secret” menu along with other Animal Style foods like Animal Style burgers!
In n Out is located all throughout California but Utah, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado and Texas have a In n Out’s too! It’s safe to say that unless you live in one of those states, your best option is just to make them at home!
What is Animal Style Sauce made of?
Animal Style Sauce aka “In n Out sauce” is basically a Thousand Island-style sauce and it’s allegedly made with mayonnaise, ketchup, and sweet pickle relish.
Since this sauce is supposed to be tangy, salty, and slightly sweet, I recommend adding some sugar and vinegar to balance out the flavors!
It’s used in Animal Style burgers and Animal Style fries!
Ingredients for Animal Style Fries
You’ll find the full recipe + ingredients in the recipe card down below but this is what you’ll need:
- Fries. You can use frozen french fries, McDonalds fries or homemade french fries! I used frozen french fries and baked them in the oven according to the package instructions.
- Onion. Yellow or red, I like using red but yellow is more similar to what In n Out uses.
- Butter. Use unsalted butter to have more control on the amount of salt you use.
- Brown sugar. You’ll want to use this to caramelize the onions.
- Water. This is to keep the onions from drying out while cooking and caramelizing!
- American cheese. Cheddar cheese slices will work too, just make sure to use slices that will mealt easily to get that gooey cheesy goodness!
- Mayonnaise, ketchup, sweet pickle relish, white granulated sugar, and white vinegar. All these ingredients are for your Animal Style sauce!
How to make Animal Style Fries
You’ll find the full recipe with step-by-step instructions in the recipe card down below but this is what to expect:
- Prepare the caramelized onions. Sautee the finely chopped onions in butter until translucent, season with salt, then add the sugar and keep sauteing until deeper in color. Add the water to keep the onions from drying out or sticking to the pan and burning. Set them aside once they’re done!
- Cook the fries. If using frozen, cook according to the instructions on the package. If using McDonald’s, reheat until hot. If using homemade, make your own french fries!
- Make the Animal Style sauce. Simply combine together the mayo, ketchup, pickle relish, sugar, and vinegar. Mix until fully combined and set aside.
- Assemble the Animal Style fries! Place your hot french fries in a large baking dish or a non-stick pan and top them with American cheese, your prepared onions and Animal Style fries. Make sure the fries are hot or the cheese won’t melt! Serve immediately.
HAPPY cooking LOVES!! I hope you’ll love this homemade Animal Style Fries Recipe as much as I do!
PS: Please leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ⭐️ if you make it! Your comments make my day!! You can also tag me on Instagram @itsdamnspicy 🌈💘
If you loved this recipe, you might also like:
- Copycat Taco Bell Quesadilla
- Meatballs In Beer Sauce
- The Best Sweet Potato Fries with Aioli
- Baked Cajun Popcorn Chicken with Chipotle Mayo
Copycat Animal Style Fries + Animal Style Sauce
For the Caramelized Onions
- 1 tbsp (14 g) unsalted butter
- 1 large onion yellow or red, finely chopped
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 tbsp water
For the Animal Style Sauce
- 1/2 cup (115 g) mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Animal Style Fries
- 32 oz (910 g) french fries frozen, McDonald's fries or homemade
- 4 slices American cheese
- Caramelize the onions. In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, melt the butter until sizzling. Add in the onion and saute for 4-5 minutes or until translucent. Season with salt and add the sugar. Add water as needed to keep them from drying out or sticking to the pan and burning. Reduce heat to low and allow to caramelize for another 4-5 minutes. Stir occasionally and add more water if necessary. The onions are ready when they're soft, fragrant, and deeper in color. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Prepare the fries. If using frozen fries, cook according to the package instructions. If using McDonald's or another fast food's fries, reheat until hot. If using homemade, make your own french fries. Meanwhile, make the sauce.
- Make the Animal Style sauce. In a small bowl, add the mayonnaise, ketchup, pickle relish, mustard, sugar, and vinegar. Mix until fully combined and set aside.
- Assemble the Animal Style fries. Once the fries are ready, immediately place them into a large baking dish, your favorite serving platter, or a non-stick baking pan. While they're still hot, top them with the American cheese, caramelized onions, and your prepared sauce. Serve immediately!