Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken: perfectly tender and smothered in a rich and creamy honey mustard sauce, this dish is packed with flavor and incredibly comforting. Serve this chicken over fluffy rice and pair it with a zesty Curtido salad (recipe included) for a delicious dinner. (Naturally Gluten-Free).
Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken
Today I’m sharing with you this delicious Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken recipe!
If you love honey mustard, you’re going to love how flavorful and comforting this dish is! 🙂
It’s ready in just 35 minutes and is typically served over rice and paired with Curtido Salad (a zesty salad made with tomatoes, onions, and lemon juice).
Super easy to make but so freakin’ delicious!
Let’s get started! 💘
You’ll find the full recipe + ingredients in the recipe card down below but this is what you’ll need:
- Chicken. I recommend chicken breasts but cutlets and thighs would work too.
- Olive oil. For sauteeing.
- Garlic. Please use garlic cloves for this recipe (no powder or flakes) for best flavor!
- Salt and pepper.
- Heavy cream. Full-fat. Do not use half and half or milk for this recipe, they won’t work.
- Honey. Good quality honey makes all the difference in this recipe as it’s one of the key ingredients so make sure you’re using a good brand!
- Mustard. Just like honey, this is one of the key ingredients so make sure to pick a good quality mustard. I like me some heat so I personally go for mild/hot mustard. If your mustard is particularly bright in color, you’ll have a bright yellow sauce (just like my pictures), if not it’ll be a bit more muted in color, either way is perfectly fine!
- Cornstarch. This is optional. I like to add some cornstarch to the sauce to thicken it up a bit since I love thicker sauces but feel free to skip this step if you like runny sauces!
How to make Honey Mustard Chicken
You’ll find the full recipe with step-by-step instructions in the recipe card down below but this is what to expect:
- Make the honey mustard sauce. Use room temperature full-fat cream for this recipe to avoid curdling and splitting. Add the honey and mustard to the heavy cream and mix until combined.
- Sautee the garlic. We’re looking for garlic-flavored olive oil here, so heat the oil and sautee some chopped garlic until fragrant. I recommend roughly chopping/slicing the garlic. I don’t recommend mincing for this specific recipe as the garlic can easily overcook and turn bitter.
- Sautee the chicken. This is a very quick step and it adds extra flavor to the chicken.
- Pour in the sauce and cook!
- For a thicker sauce add in cornstarch + water mixed together and stir. This step is optional, you can skip it if you’re into runny sauces.
- Serve immediately over rice.
What to serve with Honey Mustard Chicken
Rice works really well with this recipe but egg noodles like fettuccine or other noodles of choice will work too.
As a side, I recommend a zesty and refreshing Curtido salad made with chopped tomatoes, minced red onions, lemon juice, and cilantro. It’s simple and easy but it definitely lightens up this super rich dish!
Here’s how to make it: combine 2 chopped tomatoes, 1/2 red onion (minced), 1-2 tbsp of lemon juice, and chopped fresh cilantro to taste. Mix, season with salt and serve!
This salad/salsa is sometimes referred to as “Curtido de cebolla y tomate” in Spanish.
HAPPY COOKING LOVES!! I hope you’ll love this delicious Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken recipe as much as I do!
PS: Please leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ⭐️ if you make it! Your comments make my day!! You can also tag me on Instagram @itsdamnspicy 🌈💘
IF YOU LIKED THIS RECIPE, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp mustard room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 1/3 cup (200 g) heavy cream room temperature
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb (453 g) chicken breasts
- 1-2 cloves garlic roughly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the honey mustard sauce. In a medium bowl, add the honey and mustard. Mix until combined, then pour in the heavy cream and mix until fully combined and smooth.
- Saute the chicken. Add the olive oil to a large skillet over low heat. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and saute for a 1-2 minutes. Add the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes, then flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the honey mustard sauce. Allow the sauce to reach a simmer, then cover the skillet and cook over medium-low or low heat for 10-15 minutes. If you'd like a thicker sauce, add in the cornstarch and water mixture (make sure the cornstarch has dissolved completely before adding it to the sauce) and mix well. Skip this step if you want the sauce to be runny. Flip the chicken and cook covered for another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve over rice and along with a zesty Curtido Salad* (see notes).
📷 DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?! Tag @itsdamnspicy on Instagram and hashtag it #itsdamnspicy