This Chicken With Onions Recipe will be your new favorite dinner. Start with chicken thighs, sautee those babies until fragrant, add tons of smoked paprika and drown them in sliced onions. Cook the whole thing until the chicken is perfectly tender and juicy and the onions are soft and creamy. Your new not-so-strange addiction.
Chicken With Onions Recipe
Hey loves! I’m back with a chicken recipe for you today and OMG ⏤ you’re not ready!!!
If you love chicken and onions, this one’s for you. It’s basically chicken thighs sauteed in olive oil, spices (mainly smoked paprika), and a hint of tomato sauce until fragrant and a bit browned.
Then you add a thick layer of onions on top and cook the whole thing covered until the chicken is tender and the onions are soft and creamy.
It’s very simple to make but it does take some 40-45 minutes to make, so make sure you keep that in mind!
This is one of those dishes that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner *OR* a special occasion (I’d totally make this for Christmas). Everyone will love it. You’re so welcome.
You’ll find the full recipe + ingredients in the recipe card down below but this is what you’ll need:
- Chicken thighs.
- Sweet onions.
- Tomato sauce.
- Smoked paprika.
- Ground cumin.
- Olive oil.
- Salt & Pepper.
How to make Chicken With Onions
You’ll find the full recipe with step-by-step instructions in the recipe card down below but this is what to expect:
- Sautee the chicken thighs. I recommend using a heavy-bottomed dutch oven like this one for this recipe as the chicken will need to cook for quite some time and you don’t want it burning or sticking to the bottom of your pan. I don’t have one so I used a stainless steel pan but I definitely had to keep an extra eye on it! Add some olive oil, heat it up and then add the garlic. Add the chicken, sautee until fragrant and lightly browned. Add the spices. Season with salt and pepper. Finally, add in the tomato sauce and water.
- Add the sliced onions. Cover the chicken with onions. Season with salt. Cover and cook on low until the thicken is cooked through and tender and the onions are soft and glossy.
What to serve with Chicken with Onions
- Fried gnocchi (as pictured, personally my favorite option)
- Egg noodles
- Healthy Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Creamy Ham and Peas Pasta
- Russian Olivye Salad
- Authentic Shchi Russian Cabbage Soup
- Savory Pumpkin Twists With Puff Pastry
- Autumn Corn Chowder With Roasted Pumpkin
- Baked Brie with Caramelized Onions
- Baked Feta Cheese with Tomatoes
Tips and FAQ
Use a dutch oven. I recommend using a heavy-bottomed dutch oven for this recipe as the chicken needs to cook for quite some time and you don’t want it burning or sticking to the bottom of your pan. I don’t have one so I used a basic stainless steel pan but I definitely had to keep an extra eye on it.
Can you cook raw chicken with onions? Yes! You can cook any vegetable alongside raw chicken. Simply make sure the chicken reaches the internal temperature of 165 F before serving. I like to stick a kitchen thermometer into the center of the thickest thigh to make sure my chicken is ready and safe to eat (make sure you don’t touch the pan with the tip of thermometer)! I like this thermometer because it’s easy to use and very accurate!
Can I make this dish in advance? I don’t recommend it. This Chicken with Onions is best served as it’s made as the chicken is supposed to be super tender and juicy and the onions should be glossy and creamy. Making it in advance and reheating it would compromise the texture of both elements.
How I can store leftovers? Mmm, how did you end up with leftovers?! Ha! Simply store any leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat on the stove adding 1-2 tbsp of water or broth to keep the chicken from burning and sticking to the pan. Reheat covered on low heat until the chicken reaches the internal temperature of 165 F. I recommend using a thermometer for this (I always use mine!).
Can I bake this recipe? You certainly can bake chicken with onions but it would turn into a totally different dish!
Is this recipe gluten-free / dairy-free? Yes! This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free and low-carb. As usual, if you’re a gluten-free eater, make sure you check the ingredients you’re using before adding them to your recipe.
HAPPY COOKING LOVES!! I hope you’ll love this easy chicken with onions as much as I do!
PS: Please leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ⭐️ if you make it! Your comments make my day!! You can also tag me on Instagram @itsdamnspicy 🌈💘
- Baked Honey Dijon Chicken
- Baked Cajun Popcorn Chicken with Chipotle Mayo
- Hot Honey Oven Fried Chicken With Buttermilk
- Easy Healthy Chinese Lemon Chicken
Chicken with Onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic pressed (I like using 1 but you can add more)
- 2.6 lbs (1200 g) chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin or more, to taste
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 35 oz (1000 g) sweet onions sliced
- Add the olive oil to a heavy-bottomed dutch oven over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and sautee until fragrant. Add the chicken thighs and sautee until lightly browned and fragrant (about 10 minutes). Turn the chicken to sautee all sides. Lower the heat to low. Add the paprika, cumin, and season with salt and pepper to taste, mix. Add the tomato sauce and water, mix.
- Cover the chicken with a thick layer of onions. Cover with a lid and cook for 10-15 minutes then remove the lid and check. If the chicken is sticking to the bottom of the pan, add 1/2-1 tbsp more water, if not, cover and keep cooking. Cook for 40-50 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through and tender and the onions are soft and creamy.