Last Updated on November 11, 2020 by Bianka
Celebrate pumpkin szn with these savory pumpkin twists with puff pastry, pumpkin puree, fontina cheese, sauteed leeks, and spices! Warm, cheesy, and flaky, these babies are literally the perfect pumpkin appetizers for your Thanksgiving dinner or cozy weeknight dinner! People will *LOVE* these!
Savory Pumpkin Twists With Puff Pastry
Pumpkin szn is here and I just HAD to introduce you guys to my all-time favorite pumpkin appetizers: these savory pumpkin twists made with pumpkin puree, Fontina cheese, sauteed leeks, and spices!
They’re very easy (and fun) to make but SO good! People usually inhale these… so snatch a few off the table before they arrive and eat them!!! Be selfish. These pumpkin twists are too good.
I also love how pretty they look, I mean don’t they just belong on a holiday table?! Speaking of the Holidays… they’ll be kinda different this year (which is why I shared my “Pumpkin Pie For Two” recipe the other day) but I truly hope you’ll be able to spend them with your loved ones!
Me, I’m on a quest to bring some comfort with my food, so if you have any requests for Holiday recipes or questions about any of my recipes, I’m just a comment away! 💘
This is what you’ll need
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- Pumpkin puree (no canned pumpkin pie filling!)
- 1 leek
- Fontina cheese (or similar)
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Smoked paprika
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
How To Make Savory Pumpkin Twists With Puff Pastry
- Saute the leeks until soft and fragrant.
- Add the spices to your pumpkin puree.
- Spread the pumpkin pure over the top of a puff pastry sheet, then add the sauteed leeks, fontina cheese, and parmesan cheese.
- Place the second puff pastry sheet on top.
- Cut into strips using a pizza cutter.
- Grab each strip and twist the ends, then roll it up into a donut-like shape tucking the end underneath (use the step-by-step pictures below if you need help!).
- Bake until golden and serve immediately!
HAPPY COOKING LOVES!! I hope you’ll love these Easy Pumpkin Appetizers as much as I do!
PS: Please leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ⭐️ if you make it! I LOVE hearing from you! 💘
Other Holiday Recipes You’ll Love:
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie For Two
- Spicy Honey Garlic Glazed Carrots
- Autumn Corn Chowder With Roasted Pumpkin
- Russian Piroshki Recipe With Potatoes And Meat
- Spicy Lebanese Potatoes
Savory Pumpkin Twists With Puff Pastry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup pumpkin puree no pumpkin pie filling
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika or regular paprika
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 dash red pepper flakes optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 2 oz Fontina cheese cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add in the sliced leek and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sautee for 5-7 minutes or until soft and fragrant. Remove from heat and allow to cool down.
- Meanwhile, add the smoked paprika, cinnamon, nutmeg, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to your pumpkin puree. Mix and taste, adjust seasonings if desired. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unroll one of the two puff pastry sheets. Using a spatula, spread an even layer of pumpkin puree over the top of your puff pastry sheet. Sprinkle with sauteed leeks, cubed Fontina cheese, and grated Parmesan cheese. Top with the second puff pastry sheet.
- Using a pizza cutter or a knife, cut into strips (about 1 inch wide). Grab each strip and twist the ends, then roll up into a donut-like shape tucking the end underneath (use the step-by-step pictures provided in the blog post if you need help). Place the prepared twist on your baking sheet. Repeat! This process is a bit messy, it's okay if some of the leek or cheese falls out when you're twisting, just pop it back into the twist!
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and flaky! Do not allow the twists to turn brown! Serve immediately. Store any leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, reheat in a 325F oven for 5-10 minutes, or until warm!