This Summer Tortellini Salad features salami, sweet onion, fresh mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, and a creamy homemade Italian dressing with mayonnaise.
Ready in 3 steps and packed with flavor, this is the pasta salad of summertime! Perfect for bbqs, parties, potlucks, and sticky hot weeknights!
Summer Tortellini Salad
This Summer Tortellini Salad is a big summertime favorite of mine because it’s packed with flavor but still cold and refreshing, the perfect dish to wrap up a long summer day!
It has salami, sweet onion, fresh mozzarella balls, cherry tomatoes, and a deliciously creamy homemade Italian dressing! It’s safe to say that you’re getting lots of flavor!
People definitely go back for more with this one so make sure you make enough if you plan on serving it on a special occasion!
Why this recipe works:
- Flavorful. This tortellini salad features Italian salami, minced sweet onion, fresh mozzarella balls, and cherry tomatoes for maximum flavor!
- Creamy. This pasta salad comes with a creamy homemade Italian dressing with mayonnaise and all the classic ingredients of Italian dressing ⎯ YUM!
- Refreshing. Tortellini salad is enjoyed cold which makes it the perfect dish for summer nights and gatherings!
- Quick and easy. While this pasta salad comes together in no time, you can also prep ahead and serve it the next day!
Ingredients for Summer Tortellini Salad
Tortellini. I used ham tortellini but cheese tortellini are another great option, especially if you love cheese. You can use refrigerated, frozen, or dried Tortellini, just make sure to cook it according to the instructions on the package.
Cherry tomatoes for some freshness and and a hint of sweetness!
Onion. I like sweet onion because it’s not as strong as red onion but any will work.
Mozzarella. I used mini mozzarella balls because they’re the best way to add mozzarella to this dish without ending up with a watery mess (if you dice a large mozzarella it’ll fall apart and release liquid, tasty but not as pretty). That being said, you can also use a different cheese if you’d like. Feta cheese or queso costeño are great cheeses if you want a stronger, saltier option.
Parsley. I used fresh parsley but you can also use cilantro or basil, basically just use your favorite fresh herb or leave it out if you’re not into any of these.
Olive oil for the dressing.
Vinegar for the dressing, any vinegar works: red, white, or apple cider.
Parmesan (optional) or Pecorino cheese, grated. This is for the dressing and it’s optional.
Sugar (optional) for the dressing.
Garlic for the dressing. You can use minced garlic or just garlic powder.
Oregano for the dressing.
Chili flakes (optional) or cayenne pepper for some heat, this is optional.
Salt and pepper.
How to make Tortellini Pasta Salad
STEP ONE: Cook the Tortellini in boiling water according to package instructions. Drain and drizzle with olive oil to keep them from sticking, mix, and set aside to cool down completely.
STEP TWO: Make the creamy Italian dressing. In a clean jar or small bowl, add the olive oil, vinegar, Parmesan cheese, sugar, garlic, oregano, chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Shake or mix until combined. Add in the mayonnaise and stir vigorously until combined and creamy. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
STEP THREE: Assemble the Tortellini salad. In a large serving bowl, add the Tortellini followed by the cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, onion, and parsley. Mix. When ready to serve, give another quick shake to dressing and pour into the Tortellini Salad. Serve cold!
Can you make this ahead of time?
Yes! You can make pasta salad up to 1 day ahead of time.
To make ahead of time, follow the recipe through step 3 but do not add in the dressing. Store the Tortellini salad covered in the refrigerator overnight. The next day, when ready to serve, add in the dressing and serve immediately!
How do you store Tortellini salad?
Store any leftovers covered with plastic wrap or in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Please keep in mind that the salad may dry up a bit as Tortellini may soak up the dressing overtime which is why you want to add it right before serving.
HAPPY COOKING!! I hope you’ll love this Creamy Summer Tortellini Salad with Salami as much as I do!
PS: Please leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ if you make it! Your comments make my day!! You can also tag me on Instagram @itsdamnspicy 🌈💘
More summertime dishes you’ll enjoy:
- Italian Burrata Salad with Roasted Tomatoes
- Colombian Hot Dogs
- Ecuadorian Rice and Beans
- Jalapeno Cream Corn
Summer Tortellini Salad
For the Tortellini Salad
- 1 20-oz package (560 g) Tortellini (I used ham but cheese also works)
- 2 cups (250 g) cherry tomatoes
- 8 oz (225 g) mini mozzarella balls
- 8 oz (225 g) salami (chopped, I used Milano salami but any will work)
- 1/2 medium sweet onion (minced, red also works)
For the Homemade Italian Dressing
- 1/2 cup (115 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vinegar (white, red, or apple cider)
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp (7 g) grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese (optional)
- 1 tsp (5 g) white granulated sugar (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes (or 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, optional)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup (115 g) mayonnaise (room temperature)
- Cook the Tortellini in boiling water according to package instructions. Drain and drizzle with olive oil to keep them from sticking, mix, and set aside to cool down completely.
- Make the creamy Italian dressing. In a clean jar or small bowl, add the olive oil, vinegar, Parmesan cheese, sugar, garlic, oregano, chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Shake or mix until combined. Add in the mayonnaise and stir vigorously until combined and creamy.
- Assemble the Tortellini salad. In a large serving bowl, add the Tortellini followed by the cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, onion, and parsley. Mix. When ready to serve, give another quick shake to dressing and pour into the Tortellini Salad. Serve cold!
📷 DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?! Tag @itsdamnspicy on Instagram and hashtag it #itsdamnspicy