This Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta is light and creamy, perfect for summer, or whenever you find yourself craving a sweet + savory pasta dish! It can easily be made into a vegan roasted red pepper pasta or even a gluten-free or dairy-free pasta if desired!
CREAMY ROASTED RED PEPPER PASTA
HEY BABES! Today I’m sharing one of my favorite summer pasta recipes: Roasted Red Pepper Pasta! This Red Pepper Pasta Sauce is light and creamy and it literally tastes like summer (if summer had a flavor lol).
I love this pasta because it’s slightly sweet and spicy! It tastes *so* luxurious and Mediterranean – it’s absolutely delicious!
I honestly would go for a big bowl of red pepper pasta over tomato pasta ANY DAY! It’s lighter, creamier and let’s face it… a lot more unique! Tomato pasta is just meh… I’m really not a fan! So if you’re looking for a nice change or alternative to Pomodoro pasta, this is exactly what you’re looking for!
It’s also super simple to make and it can be made gluten-free, dairy-free, and even vegan! I will provide all substitutions below :).
SO! Let’s get started 😛
1 TIP TO MAKE THE BEST ROASTED RED PEPPER PASTA SAUCE
Use fresh red bell peppers & roast them yourself instead of using store-bought roasted red peppers! You’ll need some extra time but it’s SO worth it! You’ll totally notice a much richer flavor when using fresh red bell peppers.
Wash the red bell peppers and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or use a non-stick one) and roast them in the oven at 400F for 25-30 minutes or until soft and charred. Place them in a ziplock bag when they’re still hot for 10 minutes to steam, then peel off the skin.
CAN I MAKE THIS RECIPE WITH STORE-BOUGHT ROASTED PEPPERS?
Yes, but drain them before using them!
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED RED PEPPER PASTA VEGAN
Use unsweetened almond milk and nutritional yeast and omit whole milk and Parmesan cheese. Use vegan Fettuccini or your favorite vegan-friendly pasta instead of regular Fettucine.
HOW TO MAKE IT DAIRY-FREE
Use unsweetened almond milk and omit whole milk. Parmesan cheese may be considered okay in some dairy-free diets but if that’s not your case you can omit Parmesan cheese and use nutritional yeast instead. Make sure the pasta you’re planning to use is dairy-free!
HOW TO MAKE IT GLUTEN-FREE
Use gluten-free Fettucine or your favorite gluten-free pasta. Use cornstarch or potato starch and omit all-purpose flour. Also, make sure all the ingredients you’re planning to use are 100% gluten-free!
HAPPY COOKING BABES!! I hope you’ll love this summery pasta as much as I do!
Please leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating if you make it! I LOVE hearing from you! 💘
OH! YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE MY:
- Simple Cream Cheese Garlic Pasta
- Baked Feta Cheese with Tomatoes
- Healthy Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Hot Honey Oven Fried Chicken With Buttermilk
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 2 and 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium shallots finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 and 1/2 cup whole milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast if vegan
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour or cornstarch or potato starch
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 and 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz Fettucine pasta or any other pasta (use gluten-free, dairy-free or vegan options if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Wash the bell peppers and place them on your prepared baking sheet. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until soft and charred. While they're still hot, place them into a ziplock bag to steam. After 10 minutes, peel off the skin and cut them into strips or cubes.
- Cook pasta the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente. Drain, drizzle with some olive oil, toss, cover and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil until hot, then add in the chopped shallots and garlic, season with salt and pepper and sautee until soft and fragrant (about 3-4 minutes).
- In a food processor, combine the sauteed shallots and garlic with the roasted peppers, milk, parmesan cheese (or nutritional yeast), flour (or cornstarch), oregano, paprika, and red pepper flakes. Blend until completely smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Transfer the sauce back to the skillet over medium heat and allow it to reach a simmer, then reduce heat to low and continue simmering until the sauce has thickened. Toss in the cooked pasta to coat, taste and adjust salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately. Top with extra parmesan cheese, black pepper, or red pepper flakes if desired.