No cocoa powder, no chopped chocolate. This Chocolate Oatmeal features a secret ingredient that will give you the creamiest, most decadent chocolate oats ever.
This is truly dessert for breakfast. Ready in 5 minutes.
I couldn’t find a Chocolate Oatmeal recipe that I liked so I made up my own. The ones I tried just weren’t giving decadence and for me, if we’re doing chocolate, it has to give.
So here’s a Chocolate Oatmeal that’s creamy, luscious, and chocolatey but only requires 4 ingredients and 5 minutes.
No cocoa powder, no chopped chocolate involved.
This is the definition of “dessert for breakfast”.
- Oatmeal. I used old-fashioned rolled oats but you can also make this with instant oats.
- Milk. You can use any type of milk for this recipe: cow or plant-based. I usually use soy or almond but that’s just my personal preference.
- Hazelnut spread (such as Nutella or others). This is the secret ingredient! It’s what will give you that rich chocolatey flavor and extra creamy texture. This is what gives you lusciousness and decadence and what sets this oatmeal apart from the others. Any brand works but make sure it’s good quality as it’s the key ingredient! Usually, hazelnut spreads are sweet enough to sweeten your oatmeal so you won’t need to add sugar.
- Greek yogurt. This is optional, if you strictly want chocolate you can leave it out but if you want to up your chocolate oatmeal game and add some tang and extra creaminess to it, you have to try it!
How to make Chocolate Oatmeal
STEP ONE: Prepare the Chocolate Oatmeal. Add the oatmeal, milk, and hazelnut spread to a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until thickened and creamy. Stir frequently to keep it from sticking to the saucepan.
STEP TWO: Add toppings. Transfer the chocolate oats to your serving bowls and top with 1-2 tbsp of Greek yogurt each. Top with your favorite toppings (see blog post for more ideas) and serve. Enjoy!
Here are some fun add-ins to spice up your breakfast bowl!
- Fresh or poached pears
- Peanut Butter
- White chocolate shavings
HAPPY COOKING!! I hope you’ll love this Chocolate Oatmeal Recipe as much as I do!
PS: Please leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ if you make it! Your comments make my day!! You can also tag me on Instagram @itsdamnspicy 🌈💘
More Oatmeal Recipes You’ll Love:
- 1 cup (90 g) oatmeal
- 1 cup (250 ml) any milk
- 1/4 cup (75 g) hazelnut spread like Nutella (any will work just make sure it's high quality since it's the key ingredient)
- 2 tbsp (34 g) Greek yogurt (or to taste, optional but recommended, for topping)
- Prepare the Chocolate Oatmeal. Add the oatmeal, milk, and hazelnut spread to a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until thickened and creamy. Stir frequently to keep it from sticking to the saucepan.
- Add toppings. Transfer the chocolate oats to your serving bowls and top with 1-2 tbsp of Greek yogurt each. Top with your favorite toppings (see blog post for more ideas) and serve. Enjoy!