Take grilled cheese to the next level with this Grilled Cheese With Mayo Recipe! Easier and quicker than a classic buttered grilled cheese and twice as flavorful!
The Best Grilled Cheese With mayo Recipe
Today we’re upgrading a childhood classic: grilled cheese! 🙂
Using mayonnaise on the outside layer!
This quick and easy grilled cheese with mayo recipe will change the way you make your grilled cheese!
I’m a forever grilled-cheese-with-mayo girl since I found out about this trick and the reason behind it and I can’t wait to share it with you guys today!
Let’s get started!
Why you should use mayonnaise on the outside of your grilled cheese
Mayonnaise has a higher smoke point than butter. This means that the outside layer of your grilled cheese can withstand heat a lot better than a classic buttered grilled cheese and will result in an even extra-crispy golden crust.
In addition to that, mayonnaise adds more flavor to your sandwich thanks to its richness and slight tanginess!
It’s also easier and quicker to spread 🙂 .
Can you taste mayo on grilled cheese?
No, unless you go overboard with it and add *A LOT* of mayo, in that case it can overpower the flavor of cheese so please stick to the recommended quantity in the recipe card below!
Best bread for grilled cheese
For classic grilled cheese, I recommend using a soft white bread.
Gluten-free bread may be substituted as long as the brand you’re using is soft and pliable.
If you plan on adding extra ingredients to your grilled cheese (such as apples, ham, etc), you may need a sturdier bread like Pullman bread. Multigrain bread works too.
You can also use fancier options like ciabatta or sourdough but they’re not necessary!
Best cheese for grilled cheese
You’re looking for a cheese that will melt easily resulting in a gooey grilled cheese.
These are the most popular options: cheddar, American Cheese, Monterey Jack, Gouda, Havarti, mozzarella, or Swiss.
For a fancier grilled cheese you can also try Provolone, Gruyere, Fontina, Comte, Brie, Manchego or flavored cheddars (like spicy jalapeno).
I recommend using pre-sliced for convenience but of course you can buy a slice or block of your favorite cheese and slice it yourself 🙂 . I usually stick to pre-sliced because grilled cheese is totally one of those “ain’t nobody got time for that” type of snacks!
HAPPY COOKING LOVES!! I hope you’ll love this delicious grilled cheese with mayo recipe as much as I do!
PS: Please leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ⭐️ if you make it! Your comments make my day!! You can also tag me on Instagram @itsdamnspicy 🌈💘
- Cheesy Turkey Sliders with Dijon Butter
- Ultimate Juicy Turkey Cheeseburger
- Cheesy Turkey Cheddar Sliders with Smoked Paprika Butter
- Vietnamese Fried Spring Rolls With Dipping Sauce
Grilled Cheese With Mayo Recipe
- 4 slices white bread or gluten-free or multigrain bread
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4-6 slices cheddar cheese or Gouda, Havarti, American Cheese, Swiss, Monterey Jack, or any melty cheese of choice.
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Spread the butter on the inside layers of your bread, then spread mayonnaise on the outside layers and place 2 of the bread slices in the skillet (mayonnaise side down).
- Top the 2 slices with cheese + the second slice of bread. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy, then flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Serve immediately!
Leave a Reply